Saturday, March 28, 2015

Spring has Sprung


Spring has Sprung

 

“Spring has sprung.

 The grass is riz.

I wonder where the birdies is.”

 Remember that little sayin’? Well it’s that time o’ year again. For the last month or so I been getting’ pressure from the missus to get at fixin’ up the balcony for the summer view. Well, it’s about a week into spring now accordin’ to the calendar, an’ it’s gettin’ colder an’ more miserable every day. But that’s about normal. How many times hasn’t it snowed on the May long weekend for heaven’s sakes?

Yet the urge to do the spring cleaning and garden preparation is an unstoppable force threatening to seriously expand my to do list. Funny how the missus has all them ideas for spring an’ I’m the one who gets to do ‘em all. I guess you’d call that a re-allocation of the force of nature. Well, it’s natural for her to force me to do all them things . . . . her way. An’ it’s natural for me not to show any great amount of resistance, or enthusiasm, or leadership for that matter. You learn about that after a while in this kind of arrangement.

Me, I like spring as much as anybody else. It’s just that I like it when it arrives an’ not when I wish it would arrive. There’s a distinct difference ya know. That way it stays for more’n a day or two before it snows again. I don’t know how many times I planted my garden just to encounter frost on my tomatoes the next day, or to find an inch o’ snow on my fresh peas or tender lettuce.

We should really just take a step back an’ let nature take it’s own course, trundling into our lives when it’s gol darned good an’ ready to, rather than force it’s entry before it’s really here. Even the Canada geese know enough to send out scouts to check the weather before they leave their comfortable surroundin’s for the great white north. I for one am not ready to admit to bein’ dumber’n a goose an’ will find somethin’ to do while I wait for warm weather. That appears a whole lot smarter to me than turnin’ up the pressure on somethin’ what ain’t gonna do anythin’ it don’t want to do. At least that’s how it seems to me from up here on the top shelf.

Just sayin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment